Labels

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Spent Grain Bread

I made this bread while brewing the Vernal Black IPA on the equinox, 3/20/10. The spent grains consisted of crystal 60, black malt and roasted barley. I have made this bread several times while my partner or I are brewing, and I have tweaked the recipe to get this result. Since almost all of the sugars from the grains have steeped into the beer (wort), the bread isn't very sweet. I have 6 T of sugar going into it, but next time I think I'll try adding honey or maple syrup and see if that makes it better. The rest of the recipe is great, though- and I think the best results involve using spent chocolate malt. (To the non-brewers, it's a grain, not a drink)
Here is the recipe for a 2 lb. loaf using a breadmaker:
2.5 t active dry yeast
5 oz luke warm water (not too warm)
6 T sugar
2 1/2 c white flour
1 1/2 c barley flour
1.5 t poppy seeds
2.5 t sunflower seeds
2.5 t sesame seeds
2 1/2 c spent grains, pushed down into the cup and possibly heaping over the top
2 T gluten
2 t garlic salt
1 1/3 T dry milk
2 T butter

Add the yeast to the water and let it sit while you add all the other ingredients to the bread pan. Then stir up the cup of yeasty water and pour it in. Turn on the bread machine- for a medium crust, white bread setting, and go back to brewing beer.
If you time it right, you will have the smell of baking bread right when you are finishing up the tasks of brewing, and you will start to daydream about kicking back with a homebrew (from the last batch) and a freshly baked slice of bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment