Labels

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Coach’s Corner

Mormon Trek, Iowa City
March 2010

This is the place where Monica’s and Bob’s Your Uncle used to be. I never made it to Monica’s but it has more of a sports bar feel/less of a restaurant atmosphere than Bob’s did. Hence the name.
First of all, I sat there for almost 10 minutes by myself, waiting for friends, and no one waited on me. After my friends showed up, a waitress came and asked if we wanted drinks. We ordered beer and I asked for menus. The water came. 5 minutes later, the drinks came, 5 minutes later, silverware came, and finally we got some menus! The service continued on like that for the rest of the meal.
I ordered a veggie wrap that ended up being mostly lettuce with not much else for vegetables. The fries were large and not very seasoned- with not much flavor.
They had an appetizer of French fries coated with melted cheese and bacon that you are supposed to dip in ranch. It’s about as good as it sounds, which resulted in the fact that it didn’t all get eaten. Also, they put large chunks of lettuce and some really red stuff that resembled ground meat on the nachos. Those didn’t even get half- eaten.
I don’t think I’ll go there again.
Environmentally: They use paper napkins and you eat on reusable trays with a disposable paper/wax thing inside.
Cost: About $9/plate. The Guinness is ridiculously expensive.

4 comments:

  1. The Corner has phenomenal wings, and they are half priced on Thursday nights. I suggest anyone who loves wings to try them out, especially for such a great price. I frequent the coaches corner and have always had good service. Most of the food is traditional bar food, but it's not bad. If you're looking for a fine dining experience check out the orchard green. You certainly shouldn't be offended that bar food is bar food however. Do yourself a favor and check the place out, it's a great environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tried it and I can say that it wasn't the best eating experience I've had in town. Slow service, and food was marginal at best. Soggy fries and greasy burger. Not my cup of tea and with all the choices in Iowa City/Coralville, I won't be back again. Save some green and find a well run restaurant with good service elsewhere, don't waste your money on this one. I tried to speak with the owner but he wasn't there and they couldn't tell me when he would be in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've eatean essentially everywhere in the area, and read many comments about this place-honestly wings are a bad argument. If that's all they can do right, be worried. The positive posts i've read seem to be written employees or possibly the manager themself. Go to Donnely's for wings- And their beer is overpriced

    ReplyDelete
  4. They play their base too loud, their service is lousy, and their food isn't much to write home about.

    ReplyDelete