Labels

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cinnamon Apple Pancakes



This is a recipe I made up on my own, heavily relying on the pancake recipe from The Joy of Cooking.
Ingredients:
¾ c unbleached white flour
¾ c whole wheat flour
3 T raw sugar
1 ¾ t baking powder
1 t salt
half or more of an apple, diced
A couple shakes of cinnamon, ground
2 eggs, cage free
1 1/8 c milk, hormone free
1 T butter, unsalted

Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
Melt butter in your cast iron butter dish over a burner on the stove. If you don’t own a microwave and your toaster oven is broken, that’s how I roll…..

Beat eggs and scrape out the shell pieces. Add milk. Add butter and stir as you add it.
Add the liquids all at once to the dry ingredients. Add the diced apples. (I don’t peel my apple, but I do like to remove the core). Stir just enough so that you don’t have clumps of flour.
Let the mixture sit for awhile. It’s got baking powder in it so it needs to do its thing.
Heat up your griddle. I have a non-stick one that doesn’t require any oil or butter. It’s amazing. It’s not Teflon, but you still have to be careful not to scratch it.
I’ve been cooking pancakes for years almost every weekend. Therefore, I’m pretty awesome at knowing exactly when to flip the pancake. Look for bubbles to begin forming. If you aren’t sure, test a corner and see if it is going to stay together. Practice makes perfect. That’s why I’m perfect.
I like to make several individual batches of the dry ingredients so that it’s quick and easy at 11:30 am. Sometimes, on weekend mornings when I finally roll out of bed and think about food, I’m more motivated to make something if it’s quick and easy and there isn’t much measuring involved. I also always have gifts to give friends & family when I visit! Homemade pancake mix!

You are probably going to make several pancakes, especially if you’re one of those crazies who likes little tiny pancakes stacked on the plate. I like plate-sized pancakes, and I find them easier to make, but that’s me. So you should go buy a pancake/tortilla warmer.
This is one of those kitchen items I bought and immediately I didn’t know how I had survived so long without owning such an amazing piece of equipment. You know what I’m talking about- when you go to a Mexican restaurant and get fajitas and they bring the tortillas in a little version of this thing to keep them all warm. It really works great- once all the pancakes are made, you bring the warmer to the table and they are all equally hot! (Don’t leave them in there too long, though- the condensation will make them soggy!) Serve them with really expensive real maple syrup and butter. Refrigerate the leftover pancakes and eat them cold with no toppings. I’m not kidding- they are awesome that way too, especially with coffee or black tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment