Labels

Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Mia Za's

122 E. Washington St.
Downtown Iowa City

I really liked the restaurant that used to be in this spot, Java Juice, so it took me awhile to go to the new place. After my co-workers raved, I gave it a try. It's not bad, and pretty cheap, with a decent atmosphere. There is always plenty of comfy seating.
You order your food (pizza, pasta, salad, etc.) on a piece of paper, checking off all the appropriate boxes (kind of like Which Wich). Then you order at the counter and they call your name when it's ready.

You'll want to check the chalkboard when you come in to see what the special of the day is. This week, it was whole wheat pizza for $3.99 (Usually $4.59) I got mine with shrooms, red onions, green peppers and pesto. The veggies were chopped up pretty small, and there weren't many covering the pizza- most pieces didn't have all, or even much of any veggie. There was plenty of pesto, but no tomato sauce. The crust was very thin. Still. It was 4 bucks, and it filled me up.
I have seen their salads and they don't look too good. I've had the pasta before, and it's okay. For the price, again, it's cheap and filling. Unfortunately, they don't have ANY hot sauce, and they give you a crazy look when you ask for some. They offer the red pepper flake container, as if that even compares.

If you have a sweet tooth, check out the desserts when you're in line to pay. Sometimes they have specials like a $2 cheesecake slice with entree. I have also heard the red velvet cake is excellent, though I have not tried any of their desserts.

Environmentally- if you eat there, the food comes on nice big reusable plates. Yay. They have a pile of styrofoam to-go containers. Boo. Regular old bleached white disposable napkins. Eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment