Labels

Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

In Between Cakes...

After starting this blog, I've been asked if I saw the movie "Julie and Julia" and/or read "A Homemade Life". The answer to both is yes. Although I have not read either Julie Powell or Molly Wizenberg's blogs, I was inspired by them to write my experiences down as I went along.

Like Julie, I'm working my way through a cookbook. I don't know yet if I will bake ALL the cakes in the book (I've got a Key Lime cake coming up that I'm not looking forward to, but my husband is excited about it) and I'm not setting a time limit like Julie did, but it is fun to take photos of the cakes and allow others a glimpse into my kitchen! Also, after watching the movie "Julie & Julia", I had absolutely NO desire to work my way through Julia Child's cookbook. That looked a little too complex for me.

As far as Molly's book goes: I loved it, I have made several awesome recipes from it, and I have a lot more to say about it, so that will be a future blog. (Do you like all my links?)

I do like to read books: half fiction, half non-fiction, all books that will make me a more intelligent, cultured, educated, better person. But lately, I've been peer-pressured into reading the Harry Potter books, and they have sucked me in. (They start out small and easy, and grow to about 870 pages by the 5th one!)
I just finished book #4, and in it I was introduced (in the magical world) to a thing called a "Penseive". With this device, Dumbledore is able to pull out the thoughts from his mind, one at a time, to keep them from over-crowding his head, and put them into his Penseive, which he can then go back to access as he pleases. I'm now thinking of this blog as my penseive.

I'm about to start on recipe #3, and I'm already questioning this project. After discovering we had WAY too much cake at home, my husband and I both took some to work and got feedback from our office-mates. One suggested I stop this 1/2 recipe crap and start making whole cakes so that the office has more to eat! (I don't have pans big enough, yet). And what if they start to give up their new years resolution diets solely for my cake? Am I responsible?
But I have decided to continue on with the applesauce trials- not with every cake, but with the ones that sound like they might taste good with applesauce.

We have been stocking up on the butter and eggs at the store (cage free, hormone-free eggs, of course) and the next few cakes look like they will definitely be "occurrences"! Unfortunately, I glanced ahead in the book and I'm not seeing any chocolate for a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment