Labels

Search This Blog

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Cake Pans

Before I could make my first cake, I had to get a cake pan. The cake pans I’ve used before were the small round layer pans, but Melissa recommended the bundt or tube pans, so I searched the local thrift store and came up with two:
The above pan is an angel food pan, which looks very similar to a tube pan, but it has 2 separate pieces.

This style is not pictured in the “All Cakes Considered” cookbook, they use a similar pan that looks like it’s all one piece- but I could not locate such a pan. This one is the size Melissa recommends, holding at least 16 cups with room on top for the cake to rise, all the other pans I found held 6-10 cups, so they work only if you cut the recipes in half.


I don’t know what the little tabs around the cake are for. So you can flip it upside down and give it air to cool? That’s Marlo in the background. If there’s a camera around, he tries his best to get in the shot.

I found this pan at the thrift store too. It doesn’t hold as much, but I like it. It makes the finished cake look like a large doughnut.
You want the tube in the middle to allow the heat to get to the middle of the cake. I learned that from the book. I’m already learning!

2 comments:

  1. What about bundt cakes? Don't they special pans?
    MMMMM.....bundt cakes.....aalalalalalal(bad Homer Simpson drool sound effect).

    ReplyDelete